Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Ristretto Cafe at Mont Kiara

Photobucket

First of all, extremely sorry to the peeps from Ristretto Cafe for posting about their awesome coffee this late. I should have blogged about this much sooner but I got tied up with work till I accidentally forgotten about it. Although its no excuse but as they say, better late than never right? *fail cover up

Photobucket

Despite this review being about a month ago, I could still remember their freshly brewed cups of coffee. Furthermore, the food/coffee review was on a rainy Tuesday(yeah, I remember which day too); a perfect timing for a some warm cups of coffee.

Photobucket
Cafe Latte

To start things off, we got to try the Cafe Latte. Its basically espresso with steamed milk which is why its has that nice layer of froth on the top. The amount of steamed milk was just right without making it lose its coffee flavor.

Next up was my cup of  Flat White. I got the chance to see how it was prepared.

Photobucket
Grinding of the coffee beans

Photobucket
Not quite sure what this step is but seems like its to compress the coffee powder.

Photobucket
Brewing of coffee

Photobucket
Steamed milk

Photobucket
Artist at work

Photobucket
And I have my freshly brewed cup of Flat White coffee.

Photobucket
What's brewing?

Photobucket
Long Macchiato

Photobucket
Next up...

Photobucket
Cappuccino

All the coffee you've seen so far only costs RM5.00 each. Yeap, FIVE RINGGIT. If that isn't a steal I don't know what is. After sampling some their coffee, we were then served with some of their hot selling dishes at Ristretto Cafe. Some of them were really good but I find some dishes were not the good side.

Photobucket
Club Sandwich

Nicely presented like how a club sandwich should be. Tasted alright with all the fresh ingredients. I do appreciate the portion though. You could clearly see that they do not cut corners on the amount of vegetables, eggs and cheese.

Photobucket
Chicken Burger with egg

Photobucket

Photobucket
Mushroom Chicken Burger

Photobucket

The burgers were pretty good although we were busy taking pictures, it was a little cold. I guess that affected the taste(not that it's bad or anything) but if you're in the mood for burgers, these would definitely do you some good.

Photobucket
Potato With Ham Salad

Slices of ham, potato cubes in milky creamy sauce over fresh salad. I personally like the potato and the sauce. It was really fragrant, plus it adds some texture to the salad. A light touch of pepper would enhance the overall taste(which I should have added at that time).

Photobucket
Char Kuey Teow

No offense to the chef but this dish was an eye opener; literally. It was way too spicy for me. Some of my friends enjoyed it while some was in the same boat as I am. Don't get me wrong, I do take Char Kuey Teow with chilli but this was really 'fiery'. We gave our thoughts on the dish and I'm sure our opinions will be taken into consideration.

Photobucket
Nasi Lemak

Although the Char Kuey Teow was a downer for me, the nasi lemak made up for it. Fragrant coconut rice with aromatic chicken rendang served along side with typical condiments for nasi lemak. The sambal had the right amount of sweetness to balance out the spiciness. Might not be a big deal but the banana leaf did help with the overall presentation by making it look a little more homely.

Photobucket
Chicken Rendang served with rice

Photobucket

Nice blend of herbs and spices in the chicken rendang. The curry wasn't too thick and the chicken was nicely done. It's a pretty straight forward dish without being too complicated.

Photobucket
Pollo @ Fungi

Rest assured, no fungus were used in this dish. The style of this pasta is very similar to carbonara. Pasta was done nicely without being overcooked but because of the rich flavors from the cream, one might find it difficult to even finish it. Best to be shared by two :)

Photobucket
Meatball Arrabiata

When this pasta was served, I guess my expectations were a little too high. Texture of the pasta was nice but I find it a little on the salty side(which some friends agree too). The meatball was actually chicken meatball which was nice but it would have been perfect if it were BEEF meatballs. The sweet, sour and spicy flavors from the sauce would have blended better with the flavors coming from beef meatballs.

Photobucket
Mexican Chicken

Photobucket
3 layers of awesomeness

Photobucket

This is one of my favourite dish for the night. Fragrant milky flavor from the melted cheese coupled with layers of chicken and mashed potato was really delicious. If I'm not mistaken, the sauce is some sort of their own chilli  concoction. I remember adding it between bites and it wasn't too spicy. A must try when you're at Ristretto.

Next up was desserts!

Photobucket
Brownies anyone?

Photobucket
Apple Pie with a scoop of ice cream

Photobucket
*insert cake name of your own choice*

Really sorry but I don't remember the name of this cake. I couldn't find it on the menu as of yet so lets just call it "some sort of berry cake". Probably a new item soon to be on the menu. Pretty obvious that fresh berries were used. If I'm not mistaken, the top layer is similar to jam.

As we were about to call it a night, we were asked if we would like to try some slightly more adventurous style of coffee mix.

Why not?

Photobucket
Mayan Coffee

Photobucket
Irish Coffee

Photobucket
Guinness Coffee

Photobucket

I'll be honest. I didn't enjoy them one bit. Most of them had this sharp bitter aftertaste while some were just, weird.

Photobucket
I guess Bangsar Babe's expression would be enough show you what I mean

After giving it some thought, there might be some mistakes on our side. We didnt stir the cream, coffee and alcohol so that might have affected the overall taste. It is indeed unique but I guess I don't know how to appreciate such a concoction. For those who are on the adventurous side, you may try these alcoholic coffee at only RM12 each.

As mentioned earlier, some stuff at Ristretto were a bit off for me but I enjoyed most of the coffee and food. Their openness to criticism shows that they cares about what the customer feel about their coffee and food and are trying to improve. Ristretto is a good get away for a nice cup of coffee which cost only RM5.00 compared to other commercial coffee outlets.

Last but not least, thanks Marcus for the invite and Ristretto for their great hospitality.

Address:
4 Jalan Kiara 1,
Mont Kiara,
50480 Kuala Lumpur,
Malaysia.

Contact No:
+603 - 62111183


Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/ristrettocafe

Twitter:
@ristrettocafemy

Website:
http://www.ristretto.com.my/

Ristretto is alittle hidden but not difficult to find. Below is a map to the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You might also like

Related Posts with Thumbnails